• Reading and writing offer the power to inform and to enlighten others.
• Environmental problems can be identified through scientific investigation and analysis.
• Citizens have the ability to impact their environment for better or worse.
• Citizens should take responsibility for addressing problems in their communities.
• Students will write a poem using rivers as a theme.
• Students will write a newspaper article about an issue related to water resources.
• Students will write a persuasive essay urging action on some environmental issue.
• Students will conduct scientific investigation and data gathering through water quality monitoring in a local creek using probe technology.
• Students will locate the entire watershed system they live within through maps and satellite images.
This project was designed using the tools at My-ecoach.com and through the Earn While You Learn Fellows Program at the Krause Center for Innovation at Foothill College in Los Altos, California. To view the teacher's guide for this project, visit http://my-ecoach.com/online/teacherguide.php?projectid=5240